Anyway...one of those things that I have always considered to be very grown-up is framed prints. Mostly because they can be relatively expensive when compared with versions printed from your computer and stuck to the wall with tape (guilty...) and because I see them in the photographs of all my favorite bloggers' homes (ahem...Cupcakes and Cashmere and LemonStripes).
I have been on the hunt for the perfect print to usher me into this new phase, something inspirational, personally meaningful, and of course oh so pretty. I thought I would share a few of the top contenders here, since I've been particularly terrible at sharing these first few months in my new apartment. My main mode of print-spiration is Pinterest, to which I am unabashedly addicted. Once you've got the general idea of the print narrowed down, I recommend Etsy as a really amazing marketplace for these, the only downside being that they typically come without the frame. Oh well.
1. "You can never be overdressed or overeducated" - a mantra that serves as a solution to my irrational fear from when I was younger of being underdressed. Don't ask. It also reminds me to absorb all of the knowledge around me everyday, because you never know when it could be useful in conversation.
2. "Don't let anyone with bad eyebrows tell you shit about life" - this I just find amusing, mostly because I like the word *shit* when used casually and non-aggressively. It also reminds me to keep my eyebrows groomed, because despite what we tell ourselves, appearance can and does matter in first and lasting impressions about you. Especially in business.
3. "In 900 years of time & space I've never met anyone who was not important" - had to throw in a Doctor Who quote, obviously. I have a few very strong obsessions - and Doctor Who is chief among them. Made worse by the fact that all of the seasons of Doctor Who are on Netflix, and that it returns to BBC on November 23rd! AH!
4. "We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are" - this one reminds me that happiness is more than anything something you control. If you want to be positive, see the positivity in people and in things. If you want to be happy - see the brightness and meaning.
5. "Eat well, travel often" - a mantra I use to justify eating whatever I want and not feeling bad about it. "Well," for me, doesn't mean eating at the fanciest restaurants or order the most expensive thing on the menu, though. Instead it means eating that apple cider donut rolled in sugar because it reminds you of drives through Vermont to see your grandparents as a kid. It means making that cheesy, cream cheesy buffalo chicken dip because its your very favorite.
6."but first, champagne" - this carries with it particular meaning, thanks to the fact that my dad refuses to usher in any family milestone, regardless of importance, without a few bottles of champagne. First campfire of the year - champagne! Got a new rug for my apartment - champagne! It's a Thursday - champagne! Which is why this print is currently the front-runner.